Sunday, October 14, 2007

A stalking

Summer has finally departed Michigan. My friends and I have been out this weekend reveling in the falling temperatures and the changing leaves.

Michigan looks splendid in the autumn and I, like all foxes, look lovely against the fall landscape. My coloring is particularly stunning against the yellows and browns of fall follage. Saturday, I took my friend Shortbread out to see Farmer Maize's cornfield.

As we admired the graceful dance of the cornstalks in the autumn breeze, I got the distinct impression that we were not alone. No, not space aliens. (I believe they reside primarily in Jersey and the Southwest.) No, there was something else in that cornfield with us. We were being stalked among the stalks. Perhaps even a cereal killer was lurking.

I was quite beside myself until Shortbread demonstrated his keen tracking talents. (He is part blood hound, but mostly plaid terrier.) It was a turkey! Alas, before we could even turn around, he was gone.

And we were left singing that old blues song "Long gone like a turkey in the corn." I hope he comes back around again. You can never have too many friends. In the meantime, I've got a new restaurant to visit.

Sincerely,
Creme Brule

No comments: