Monday, September 24, 2007

C is for Charles

This is my friend Charles Torte. He is an environmental lawyer.

Word from the wise (which foxes naturally are) do NOT ask an environmental lawyer, "Where does the water in Lake Michigan come from?" Especially if you have only 15 minutes until you are supposed to take your pumpkin pie from the oven.




First, Charles corrected my grammar. Do not end a sentence, even a question, in a preposition. Rolling my eyes. Then, he whipped out a chart and gave me an hour and half lecture on watersheds, water flow, the water cycle and the effects of pesticide on algae. He even gave me a quiz. I got a 70% but I was distracted by the smell of my pumpkin pie burning and I might have nodded off a time or two during his lecture.

Charles is a nice guy if a tad stiff. He once brought his briefcase on a picnic. But what Charles really knows how to do is challenge others to conserve. (This post is brought to you by the letter C). He has given me lots of good ideas about how to recycle, reuse, regift, restrict use of chemicals and, most of all, rethink my relationship with the environment. He even gave me a nifty book called "Serve God Save the Planet."

Charles says he'll help me with a post about things you can do to help the environment too. Now, that's a good friend.

Sincerely,
Creme Brule

1 comment:

A Rocha USA said...

Hi, my name is Dustin and I work with Christians in Conservation: A Rocha USA. I noticed that you mentioned the book "Serve God, Save the Planet" in your post, and I thought that you might like to know that its author, Dr. Matthew Sleeth, has recently become the president of our organization. We would love for you to check us out at our website, en.arocha.org/usa.